In addition to providing the benefits of economic growth, Nissan Canton seeks to contribute to socially responsible business practices. From our manufacturing process to the final products, we listen carefully to the wide variety of our stakeholders, working with them as we pursue activities that meet society’s needs.
We’re committed to diversity because we’re committed to excellence. For us, diversity means opportunities for the entire workforce, respect for individuals and inclusion of new ideas and viewpoints. Diversity strengthens us as individuals and as a company, better preparing us to create quality products.
For the sake of the planet and for generations to come, we work proactively and in good faith to address environmental challenges and to help reduce the real world environmental impact of our products. We provide our customers with innovative products to help the development of a sustainable mobility society.
- Nissan’s commitment to diversity is part of the overall strategy to support the company’s long-term growth. By leveraging diversity across all aspects of our business, we will create a culture of inclusiveness that is reflected in our workforce, supplier base, dealer body, consumer outreach and philanthropic presence.
- As a result of our commitment to diversity, Nissan was named one of DiversityInc’s Top 25 Noteworthy Companies for the second consecutive year in 2016.
- Our management team is made up of 53% minority managers and our workforce is 71% diverse, with 66% African-American employees.
- Nissan’s gospel choir, which was began at the suggestion of our employees, is an expression of the company’s appreciation for cultural diversity and a tremendous source of pride to Nissan and the greater community.
- The Canton Culture Committee celebrates diversity and culture in a number of ways, including a variety of ethnic history celebrations, guest speakers, health fairs, ethnic cuisine specials served at the plant, as well as charity walks and philanthropic fundraising drives.
- Nissan takes active steps to identify the direct and indirect impacts of its business on the environment to help minimize them. Our goal is to reduce our environmental impact by promoting effective use and recycling of energy and resources.
- Nissan Canton has been awarded ENERGY STAR Certification for eight years in a row, signifying Nissan’s spot among the top 25 percent of the automotive manufacturing industry for superior energy management
- Nissan is promoting CO2 emission reduction activities and introducing cutting-edge energy conservation technology. With these activities, we set a target of reducing CO2 emissions by 27 percent below the fiscal 2005 level by fiscal 2016.
- Nissan’s energy savings strategies don’t stop at its own doorstep—it extends lessons learned within its operations to the community by helping others achieve their energy-savings goals. In fact, the team at Nissan Canton helped 24 Mississippi schools obtain ENERGY STAR certification for their buildings, which led to a cost savings equal to more than 10 teachers’ salaries.
Corporate Social Responsibility Report – 2014
Since 2003, Nissan and our dedicated employees have contributed more than $13.6 million as part of our commitment to Central Mississippi. Last year, Nissan Canton and its employees contributed to many different organizations that serve our community:
- Nissan awarded more than $430,000 in full-tuition, need-based college scholarships through Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning
- Nissan supported more than 40 education initiatives impacting the lives of Central Mississippi students
- Nissan sponsored a robotics program through Central Mississippi Robotics
- Nissan sponsored the Latin American Business Association’s state-wide Latinfest small business event
Click here for the complete Nissan Canton 2014 Corporate Social Responsibility Report.